It’s that time of year again, when friends and families travel near & far to gather around the table, bringing love, smiles & thankfulness! At my house, it’s tradition that before gobbling down all the savory goodness, we go around the table and say one thing we are thankful for. I thought during this season of giving, we could raise our awareness at this special gathering we call Thanksgiving, as it wouldn’t even be possible without the gifts of Mother Earth. So why not focus on giving thanks back to her?
Here’s a little gift from me to you, in order to help us give back to our Earth. After all, this is a gift that keeps on giving!
1) Conserve Water – Most of us aren’t as mindful as we should be when it comes to water, considering it is our most precious resource! Take shorter showers, turn off the water while brushing your teeth and only run dishwasher when it’s full.
2) Grow Something from Seed – Try building a planter box, patio garden or windowsill. You can also use seeds harvested from your organic produce
3) Plant a Tree – Trees slowly remove carbon from the atmosphere. One tree might absorb as much as one ton of carbon during a 40-year lifespan!
4) Compost Food Waste – Check out Pinterest for incredibly easy ways to do this!
5) Eat Organic – Shop local and support a nearby Farmer’s Market to beat the 15,000 miles produce can travel to get to your local grocery store.
6) Switch to Sustainable Products – Say no to single use plastics! Use a paper or metal straw/cup, switch to a bamboo toothbrush, and use eco-friendly grocery bags. Check out Stasher Bags, Eco Bags, Simply Straws & Mizu Water Bottles.
7) Recycle – Recycling is the best way to prevent unnecessary trash in landfills. Donate clothing you don’t want, kitchen accessories, toys & appliances. Hosting a *clothing swap* with friends can also be a fun way to recycle old treasure.
8) Power Down – Unplug any unused appliances in your household. Your energy bill & Mother Earth will thank you for it later.
9) Join or Organize a Community Clean-up – Help keep our neighborhoods & beaches clean before it has a chance to pollute the ocean!
10) Say Thank You to her every day, she hears you loud & clear! <3